Re: artsednet digest: August 20, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 06:45:07 PDT

on 8/21/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: MURAL BRAINSTORMING
> From: "Breanne" <Booanne79@aol.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:10:57 -0700
>
> Hi all! I am brainstorming ideas for a mural/collage... I want each
> student to participate (about 500) by creating their own drawing that
> could be placed onto a larger background... I thought maybe a
> self-portrait, symbol, etc... I'm not sure. I'd like to to a theme based
> on unity... any thoughts?
Hi Breanne,

I have been involved with kids working on murals for the past 25 years, and
am currently involved in a mural project at an an elementary school in my
district that will also have students involved in one of the 32 murals being
created.

Here are a coupe of possible suggestions to think about incorporating:

1) Have students' outlines incorporated in the mural by using a projector to
cast a shadow of their outlines on the surface being painted. Someone other
than the particular student can then draw the outline. Have them take
different poses so that the figures are varied. The students can then paint
the inside of their figures using whatever design aspect is going to be
employed. The figures can be solid colors, patterned or hold individual
drawings created by the students within the confines of the outlines.

2) Decide on a theme and have students come up with drawings around the
idea. Have the students decide which drawings work the best for use on the
mural. Use an opaque projector to project the images on the surface of the
mural. Students can be arranged in groups ('teams') to work on various
sections.

One direction for this might be considering various aspects of school life
as a jumping off point for students to brainstorm what they would like to
see incorporated in their mural. Whether the subject matter has to do with
actually going through their school day with their respective teachers,
classrooms, schedules, etc. or is more about what they are learning in the
various areas of the curriculum that they are involved with.

However you approach this, murals are always exciting experiences for
students to work on at all grade levels. Good luck!

Kevan

---