RE: MURAL BRAINSTORMING & teaching mentally impaired

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 06:03:04 PDT

Linda,

I worked with special ed for about a year. A lot depends on the degree
of their impairment, but at those ages keep it simple, keep it concrete,
and heap on the verbal encouragement. I've often found these kids much
more interesting and stimulating than "normal" kids because they not
only think outside the box, they spend a lot of their time living there.
They are not aware of "social conventions" and the "why they
shouldn'ts". They can be very creative because they are not normally
constrained.

Keep in mind most of all that they do not perceive the world the way
"we" do. Listen again to Harry Chapin's "Flowers are Red".

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---