Re: planning 9/11 observances

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 04:09:38 PDT

> Teaching 9-11-01
> September 11, 2001 was a defining moment in American history. As we begin
> a new school year, teachers at every level are grappling with the
> challenge of helping their students to confront, and make sense of, the
> horrific events of that day.

The day after 9/11 I created lessons about the things that we valued as
americans: home, family, trust, freedom, love, school, etc. This was a way
to cope with what had happened. As we reach the first anniversary of this
tragedy we each want to do something. What I do not want to contribute to
is the memorialization of hatred and the continual erosion of our freedoms.
Teaching should be about reflection that makes use think, not the creation
of a holliday of remembrance. I will gladly discuss the brave people who selfishly
gave their lives for others. But I do not want countless others to die around
a rallying cry of 9/11.

Students and other teachers will follow our lead. Which direction do we
lead them ?

How do we approach the concept that our (USA) intrusion in much of the world
may have contributed to 9/11 and that further adventures like an attack
on Iraq
may cause greater hatred for america ? Every one is wrapping themselves
in the
flag and trying to discuss anything other than defending america is
looked at as
un-American. How many rights and freedoms do we give up before we are no longer
the america we wish to defend ?

                                                IMHO, Woody in KC

--
This one soars: