Re: My Super Sketchbook Lesson

---------

From: Suzette Milam (smilam_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 19:34:43 PDT

I want to share my best sketchbook plan ever!
"Who Am I?" Sketchbook
18x18 paper
Folded into quarters.Then re-open.
Fold each corner of the paper into the center.
Do this three times.
The sketchbook has layers, kind of like an onion.
We make the cover in class. I have them write,"Who Am I?" and decorate it
how ever they would like.
Talk to the kids about being the kind of friend they wish they had.
What kind of person they would like to hang around.What good qualities do
they have?
( I feel kids are like a bank, you have to deposit in order to withdraw. I
am depositing attributes.)
We go over a handout of attributes. I have the word and then a first person
example.
Ex: Knowledgable: I am smart. I have them write a 5or 4,3,2,1,0. A 5 being
totally them to 0 never them, right next to the word. Then they circle all
the 5's.
When we are done they take the highest 20 ( this is how many weeks in the
semester) and place them in each section inside the sketchbook. I have them
write the attribute and the meaning.
Then, each week they draw an example of that attribute in the book as
homework. On friday I walk around and give them points for having one done.
It also gives me a great opportunity to comment on what the attribute is and
give a complement. Ex: "Johnny do you really mow the lawn as you have shown?
You are a hardworker!"
By the time we are at the bottom layer of the sketchbook they draw their
self portrait. We do this in class.
This has been by far the best sketchbook I have ever done with the kids.
They like doing the sketches. It is personal to them. And it is a great
teaching tool for character building. It could be done with younger ages as
well by decreasing the vocabulary.
If you would like to see an example or have one sent to you e mail me.
Suzette Milam
Porterville High School

---