RE: WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF CHILDHOOD

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 21:29:07 PDT

Brenda,
Not my description by Neil Postman's. See his "Teaching as a Subversive
Activity" wherein, among other things, he strongly recommends the use
and value of inquiry.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

> My child was called gay last year at
> our "Christian school" and then the kids laughed because he
> didn't know what that meant. (he's 10)

Which meaning of "gay"? First was "happy, cheerful"; then it meant
"homosexual". Now it means "dumb" or "stupid" (i.e. "That's so gay." or
"He's so gay (dumb stupid na´ve)."

---