RE: budget cuts

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 06:11:43 PDT

We have the same problem in Ohio. For more than a decade the State has
been raking in millions that were intended to support Education. Yet we
have some of the worst schools in the country, with failing budgets,
failing schools, teacher cuts, and buildings which would be condemned if
they weren't schools for our children.

Why don't the NEA and AFT unions exert their influence through public
opinion?

Some of you may have heard that Cleveland just hired a new
superintendent at $270k/yr and perks out the whazoo. As one newspaper
article put it, "One wonders if she asked for anything that she didn't
get?"

Meanwhile, we're getting ready to face another teachers' strike in
Norton, Ohio, in a week or so, at the beginning of classes.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---