Re: Reluctant learner (love story)

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 13:45:35 PDT

At 08:07 AM 8/19/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Please give me tips to deal with students who are taking art subject but
>reluctant to do the work.

Love Story
I once had at high school student who just sat in class no matter what I
did to inspire or threaten him. We were strongly encouraged not remove
students from our classes on the theory that they would learn something by
being in class. I felt that this situation was too demoralizing to other
students to allow him to stay without do any work. I got all the forms
completed and approved to have him removed. I met with the student
privately and told him that he could only remain in class if he worked on
his assignments every day. I let him know that the first day he was not
busy, I would add my signature to the forms and he would be out. He agreed
to work. He completed the term and made an average grade. He did learn
something. I asked him why he decided to stay. He said his girlfriend was
in this class and he enjoyed being with her. This was more powerful
motivation than anything I could have come up with.

Another Idea
I have often mentioned that my assignments are not required. Those who
want to do an alternative assignment must write it out in advance including
details about what new things they want to learn and how they will go about
it. This rarely happens, but if it is well planned, it can be a good
thing. If it is not well planned or is simply of rehash of what the
student can already do, I suggest that they revert to the regular
assignment or plan something in more detail and/or somethng that is more
challenging.
Marvin

---