Re: union activism

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 19:40:39 PDT

I have been a member of NEA since I began teaching and this year it has
really paid off. I was given a 3/4 contract for this coming school year
rather than the full time I have had for the past 4 years. A non-tenured
teacher spends 3 hours a day tutoring and teaching a course called Careers
(which is not a certified position). She also happens to be the School Board
President's daughter. NEA has their lawyers fighting this for me and it is
not costing me anything other than my monthly dues. My hearing is the 29th
and I have been dreading going back - I too am one of those not used to
sticking up for myself. But I am not about to just sit back and happily
accept my $500+ drop in pay either. Win or lose, I have made my point! :-)
~Michal

> On this subject I must admit that I was born into a union family.
> I have always belonged to the association and to the union when
> I had a real job. Our local NEA and the district have had very a
> good working relationship for years now. Of course right now they
> must divide the meager crumbs that the state gives us. The
> biggest shame is that only about 1/2 of the teachers in the district
> belong. It's hard to bargain with one hand behind your back.

---