Re: standing up for yourself

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 19:28:56 PDT

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> One teacher I work with said her principal told her that she had
> to do some of her extra contractual hours at night. NO where is it written
> when you fulfill your extra hours (in our district we have to give 30 hours
> above the school year...for most of us it is more like 300!) that you have to
> do them at night. Yet that is what this principal said to her.
> And...last but not least...would you really want to work in a district that
> would treat you so poorly??? Better to work at Wal-Mart than put in
> thousands (yes begining teachers log approximately 3000 hours their first
> year) than be treated in an unprofessional manner.

Our negotiated contract specifies 6 evening meetings can be required without
additional compensation. This is interpreted to mean, Open House, Art
Fairs, etc.
But most of us are professionals and know that we need to put in
hundreds of
hours after school, weekends, etc. to do the job right. If we were after money
we would have gotten real jobs and pressured the almighty dollar. I take
extra pay
when it is there but most of the time I just do what needs to be done.
                                                        Woody in KC

--
This one soars:
Fantastic Triplet Grandkids: