Re: Mexican bark painting

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 14:31:04 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Does anyone have ideas on doing this with 6th grade students? Do grocery sacks
>work using tempera paint? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ---

I have seen great results doing this with the wrinkled grocery bags. The
students drew bold and simple designs with flora/ fauna subject matter, used
black crayon over their pencil lines- thick and heavy. Then they painted with
tempera cakes. Something to watch out for is too much water in the paint. The
bag soaks in water and this might cause watery paint to bleed. The crayon
worked as a little resist, helping the students stay in the lines and keep
colors separated and not bleeding together. I think traditionally very bright
color is used, so florescent paint is great. My friend found an actual example
of bark painting at a thrift store.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---