Re: Huichol pronunciation

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 13:56:24 PDT

croberts wrote:

> How do you pronounce "Huichol"

It's pronounced WEE-chol (longish "O" sound, but don't overdo it). I
double-checked the pronunciation when I was in Mexico this summer.

I heard a presenter at NAEA last spring pronounce it "YOU-chul." This
was a professor whose name you would all recognize. I think she was
skating on the coattails of grad students who had done all the
research. She obviously didn't care enough about the topic to learn how
to correctly pronounce it.

Maggie, gnashing her teeth

---