Job Title

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 11:24:38 PDT

Isn't freedom of speech wonderful? One can say anything one wants until
it's time for your students to take the CEEB, the CBEST, and the high school
exit exam. And if one makes up those things on one's job application, they
can fire you any time they want. I was told "they" (whoever "they" are, and
I don't know) just want to "get something on you." And then you'll be safe.
For example, I was invited to join an educational organization called Phi
Delta Kappa, right after finishing my credential program. Then I was
invited to be on the board! So of course I said yes. I was the newsletter
editor, then the "technical advisor" (web site manager. We didn't do
anything except have long conversations over meals at Chevy's, until after a
couple of years I demanded that we watch a professional development video,
because I wasn't getting any training or advising for the substitute
teaching I was doing. No minutes, no treasurer's report, no elections, no
annual meeting. Then they wanted me to be president. I said no, no, no,
no, no, no, no, no. They can't even spell my name right. There's no
support for reform here. My main qualification for the presidency of that
organization, according to the current president, was that I was working
half time, according to the president. But I don't want to work half time!
I want a full time job teaching art! That's what my credential is in!
Anyway, I think it's an organization of administrators, not teachers. I
don't know who m most of the people are or what they do. I just know two
members who are principals and one who is a vice principal. I am not an
administrator and I don't want to be one. I don't want to be a figure head
or puppet president, a front man for that organization. I don't like
wasting time that I could be spending painting or reading art history. Is
that clear?

Jean Womack
San Francisco

> Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply,
> "I have a continuing program of research (what parent doesn't) in the
> laboratory and in the field (normally I would have said indoors and
> out). I am working for my Masters (the whole darned family) and already
> have four credits (all daughters!).

---