union activism

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 13:01:11 PDT

It's a good thing!
Teaching is the only profession that proports to treat everyone the
same..unions make that so. My union has not only made me proud when they
were pushed against a wall during negotiations, but made sure that I got
what was fair and equitable in salary and working conditions. If you pay
dues and do not participate you can't complain. If you are work in a school
system without representation, you end up with conditions like 47 kids in a
classroom, or no break or prep periods, or a salary based on how the
superintendent felt about you and your interview. While we would all like to
trust the people we work for, but remember that they answer to a higher
authority...taxpayers. (who if you remember think we only work 1/2 days and
10 months out of the year...and who essentially see us as a glorified
babysitting service).

San D

---