Re: It's all Greek to me....

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 21:06:45 PDT

on 8/18/02 10:51 PM, sharon@art-rageous.net at sharon@art-rageous.net wrote:

Anyone have any good suggestions for a 3D project that would incorporate
Greek mythology, do-able in one week or less?

 sharon, i once had my 6th graders draw life sized greek caryatids w/
charcoal (actually pencil first, then charcoal over) on white kraft paper,
which we stapled to another large piece of kraft paper, cut out, and
stuffed w/ crumpled newspaper. since i'm elementary and have the kids once a
week for 45 minutes, they worked in groups, and it took them "weeks" - maybe
5 or so. anyway, when you smudge the charcoal a bit and use a lot of
imagination, the "statues" take on the look of sculpted marble.

also, i've had them study different types of greek vessels and their uses
(kylixes, amphora, etc.) then create, with coils, a terra cotta clay vessel
w/ at least one handle. after firing, draw mythological scenes on w/
sharpees and paint w/ mod podge. the kids really enjoyed both of these
processes.

linda in michigan

---