RE: 43 in Advanced Art Class/ Update

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 17:39:25 PDT

Teresa,
     I would find out you your association rep is on campus and join if
you haven't. While Texas is a Right to Work State, and we have no
collective bargaining, they do have lawyers who can help you IF the law
is being broken.

        Last year our principal tried to get a class size reduction
teacher for 5th grade. The GT Cluster class was 21, the other classes
ranged from 22 - 25. She was told there was no class size reduction for
5th and up. Now it may be that we had to be over 30.

        Another suggestion, call the fire marshal (or have some
concerned friends call the fire marshal). The Richmond Fire department
was all over campus the first day of school checking fire doors, gates,
and rooms. Then they came back Friday (it was suppose to be Thursday but
they had pity on us, though most teachers looked like drowned rats after
dismissal any way I think Richmond got more than the 4" they said) and
conducted a fire drill to check our procedures. They are going to come
back sometime next week and do it again, this time some exits are going
to be deliberately blocked off.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert