Re: Calligraphy-Elementary, smart fifth graders?

---------

From: Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 16:50:12 PDT

Hi Linda,

It's true, India ink will clog up pens. You can still use India ink, but the
pen nibs will need frequent cleaning, or you'll grow stubborn black ink
build up that's a pain in the butt to remove. Now we use concentrated
watercolors. I bought 3 boxes of Dr. Ph. Martin's watercolors (there are
other brands of varnish and shellac free inks) 6 years ago (yes, they are
pricy, but they seem to be lasting forever), and I tried using these with
good results. The students squeeze 1-2 drops of color in the dent of one of
those round paint trays and dip their pens in that. Check out my Web page
which shows and explains this:

 http://www.wickedstepmother.net/BAMS/Calligraphy/Calligraphy.htm

If the ink you inherited doesn't smell bad, it should be ok to use. If it's
no good, dump the ink, but save the bottles. Much cheaper to refill bottles
than to buy new.

Ginny

> From: linda eastman <lindacharlie@wwnet.net>
> Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:08:15 +0800
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>
> Subject: Re: Calligraphy-Elementary, smart fifth graders?
>
> i'm going through messages that i saved between last spring and now (i KNOW
> i'm slow!) and came across this one from ginny. my question is, if you don't
> use dip pens with india ink, what DO you use! i inherited about 20 bottles
> of india ink with my job. is it still good? maybe i can just pitch it and
> have some storage space for something else?
>
> linda in michigan

---