Re: monart method

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 12:46:30 PDT

--- Daniela <brendanian@comcast.net> wrote:
"Drawing with childrenI" by
> "Mona Brookes that has
> exactly what I had been looking for. A already
> developed method for
> teaching children, as well as adults how to draw.
> In order for me to use the method, scince I'd be
> using it for one of the
> after school enhancement programs I teach I'd have
> to become a certified
> teacher for the Monart method.

My understanding is that if you are using it in school
you don't have to become liscensed-only if you are
setting up a for profit. independent program.

Email them via the website.

Mona Brooks also has traveling workshops so you can
get a feel for whats going on. They are also on the
site.

Do a search for Monart and I think it comes up. It is
bookmarked on another computer - if you can't find it,
let me know.

I am tyring to figure out where/how I can make it fit
into my curriculum. The fifth grade teacher teaches
them the step-by-step overlapping oval approach, so I
think this would be a way to get the 6th graders to
consider how we perceive shapes as we observe them. I
attempted to use it with lower elementary, but ran out
of time. They were good at identifying elements in
the classroom and did one copying exercise, but we
never made it to an actual still-life.

What level are you planning to use this method with?
I hope you will keep us posted on how it goes. There
was some dialogue a while back that should be
available in the archives.

Dawn