Re: 43 in Art Class....mine are in 6th grade

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 12:24:50 PDT

--- Tsheffey@aol.com wrote:
All I can
> imagine is 43 high schoolers coming through my door
> on Monday.
> Help!!! Any suggestions?
> Teresa in El Paso

Wow! My third period class has, yes...43 students!
They are all in the 6th grade. I've had them for a 3
days. (actually, to top things off, I was hired a
couple of days after school started)

8 of them are accompanied by a para. They are
physically capable of working, but I haven't received
the modifications for them yet, so I'm not real sure
what's going on with them. On the opposite end I have
a couple of the notorious "trouble makers."

The room can actually accomodate this many students -
I asked the principal if there would be this many
students when I came in (because I have heard tale of
classes in the 30's) and he said no, these
arrangements are supposed to be to facilitate
independent and group activities. (Some of the

I'm basically considered a first year teacher (I have
spent most of my teaching carreer in private
institutions) and don't want to make a big ruckus. I
am in an intern program through UH, so it will be
interesting to see what is done before/after I am
observed.

I have actually found that the working situation is
roughly the same as the classes that are in the 20's.
I've had to be a little more strict with them to get
through role call - like making them all put
everything down and move 2 feet away from the tables,
so that they can manage not to fidget for a few
minutes...There are a couple of desks that I have had
to move people to if they were having problems. The
thing that bugs me most is the time issue that comes
into play- some I have had little interaction time
with and the time it takes to get to work and to clean
up.

So, I have been interested in the tips that were
shared by others on the list. I'm not sure if I have
any great suggestions to offer, but I have worked in a
multiple level teaching environment before taking this
job.

What are the possibilities of having your Art II and
III students work on projects similar to sudio
courses? I used to give my students work plans
(folders that outlined their work for the week or
month that they were responsible for.) I would give
them new lessons as needed. When I had topics that
involved all students, each level would have different
perameters.

I can elaborate on specifics more, if you would like
me to, but the crux here seems to be unload a few
somehow. If you can't, I hope you'll stay in contact
over the next couple of weeks - I think mine will
still be on board for a while.

Dawn
also in the State of Texas