Re: Mexican bark painting

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 06:36:52 PDT

I thought I had posted them but it seems not. I did this with my 6th graders last year, but I tied it in with "Day of the Dead". I bought one of those plastic skeletons at Wal-Mart and we practiced drawing them. Then I distributed the grocery sacks, we wadded them up, pounded them, rolled them, then smoothed them out. The students drew their skeleton with pencil, then they were to make them personal - either themselves or someone they knew. They made cheerleaders, football players, vets, and many more. Then we drew a border and painted with liquid tempera. They were awesome! :-)
~Michal

  Does anyone have ideas on doing this with 6th grade students? Do grocery sacks work using tempera paint? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ---

---