Re: AP 3-D Design

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 07:44:36 PDT

I'm assuming the AP stands for Advanced Placement. It is a class where
students have stringent 'standards' which are set by ETS (Educational
Testing Service) and the Advanced Placement people. These standards are
national, and students must submit their portfolios to be judged on a rating
system that is pre established. Some colleges (not a lot of art schools
though) will look at these 'scores' very seriously and give students college
credit for a beginning art class, or maybe they will bump them into the next
level of art. Art schools DO look at their portfolios and these portfolios
DO become an important KEY for entering art schools, although most art
schools prefer that students not opt out from any beginning art course, as
they want to train the students from day 1. Not all high schools offer AP
courses (whether in art or chemistry). Our school offers about 10 AP art
courses, one of which is AP Art History. While we have AP Studio Art on the
books, students have not opted to take it after speaking to the art teacher
on what is required in the concentration portion of the course. They have
opted instead to take our Open Studio class which prepares students with a
portfolio that has been individualized and not standardized. The AP Art
History class ran one time in 3 years, with students loving the course, but
hating the amount of work needed to do in order to get a decent showing on
the AP Test. Our school requires that if you take an AP course you MUST take
the test. Some schools do not have that requirement. The test scores are a
very public way of our Board of Education to see if 'standardized' learning
has occurred.

San D
-----

> What does AP stand for in the AP 3-D Design?
>
> Jackie

---