Lord of the Rings art

---------

From: L. Horvath (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 14:06:25 PDT

>I like these ideas of hobbits, witches, fantasy creatures, gargoyles,
>etc. Any ideas to tie it to Art History? Or a specific artist? I
>teach elementary art, and this would be a fast, short lesson.
>Jan

The illustrators Greg and Tim Hildebrandt were my "artist" heros when I was a little kid in the '70's! There is a recently published book out now that has reproductions of all their Tolkein callendar art, and it also shows how they used models to create their realistic looking fantasy scenes. Could be a fun intro to other illustrators such as NC Wyeth, Norman Rockwell, etc.!
-Lydia de Toledo

---