Re: 43 in Advanced Art Class. long reply

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 11:00:42 PDT

I personally would invite Board of Education members, or parents to be
'visitors' into my classroom, especially for a drawing lesson. I would have
them be models. (he he). I got a new room this year because last year a
student of mine invited the Assistant Superintendent into our class of 26
(in an undersized room which could only accomodate 16 comfortably) when they
were putting on puppet shows. OK so it was 90 degrees in there, crowded and
the woman had a claustrophic attack, and long story short, I am in the
process of relocating rooms to a larger space with two!! walk in closets!

The 43 students will be your advocates in your 'fight' believe me, they
don't particularly want to make art in a tight space either. Personally I
wouldn't 'threaten' with videos, art history etc, because those disciplines
shouldn't be used in that manner. (i.e. art history is not a punishment, or
a wedge) I would actually have kids do regular work so that everyone can see
how ridiculous the situation is, and not shortchange the making of art.

BUT I would hope you never have to resort to making do in that situation.
But all of us veterans have stories of having to 'make do' somewhere along
the line (don't even ask me about the time they scheduled two ceramic
classes with two (opposite/different) teachers to teach the class. Let's put
it this way "her" side was begging to get over to mine!)

Now to guidance. THEY are the ones that did the scheduling, and THEY are the
only ones can do the undo the scheduling. Get the class list and so some
calling. Call your seniors to make sure they stay in the class, call the
juniors and the underclassman and tell them that there are too many kids in
the advanced class, and that seniors have first dibbs, and that THEY and
their parents have to call their guidance counselors to sign out and to get
their second choices.

Just some ideas.

San D

---