43 in Advanced Art Class.....ahhh

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 21:10:42 PDT

It should not be an .....ahhh It should be a NO WAY
How can you possibly have 4 levels in one class period? Would they ever ask
this of an English teacher?
This kind of situation infuriates me and this is not a counselor's
decision. You go right to the top. You have a curriculum, you have
standards, you have outcomes and objectives, you have something you need to
accomplish. You take all of that "paper" and plop it on the desk of the
Superintendent and you ask how you accomplish this with 43 in a class at 4
levels.

I'm in similar but not so drastic situation. My Advanced and AP class is
combined this year. I just spent the summer writing a new AP curriculum. It
is tough , AP is college level stuff. My Advanced class is prep for the
AP. I don't know how I can truly meet all the requirements for both
curriculums, but of course I'll try.

Teresa
you are being "dumped on" and it's a serious problem. WE spend so much
time advocating for our programs to be considered serious and then this
kind of crap happens. You have to stand up for some sanity. Go to the
scheduler and find how many other programs have 4 levels and 43 in a class.
School administrators have become CEOs not unlike the figure manipulators of
Enron and others. They look at numbers not people. My schedule this year
was determined by a set of numbers that looked good on paper but had nothing
to do with reality. The consequence was that 4 people resigned positions
that are yet be filled.

We can't help you Teresa. There is no "teacher advice" we can give you.
It's impossible . If you don't have an association to back you, then you
have to stand on your own and that's a pretty lonely place.

I wish I could help you more and offer some better advice.

Patty

---