Re: cindi/long. psychology & art

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 18:32:03 PDT

Carolyn, thank you for this lengthy response. I need
to tell you however, I was just kidding. I teach high
school, it is my dream job----waited a long time for
it---and I was playing when I made the crack. MANY
times part of my conversations involve "no drugs, no
alchohol, no sex, no weapons, and no bad language"
(high schoolers intrests)when the students "perform"
the current objective. It is a huge issue in teaching
high school because the way you approach these
topics-- yet still keep art "expressive and
inclusive"--- sets part of the tone in your classroom.
"Thoughts, emotions, reactions to the
environment"......and "for art to be important it must
reflect the individual making it". How true. And we
need to provide a culture where the student can "face
himself and his own needs". Wow, alot to handle. Then
we ask them to get up and talk about it! It is great.
We are back in class, I have seen all 172 students,
talked all class about the course, and our club.
Everybody listened. Man am I gonna have to remember
these days!!
I have sent a copy of a site I found on Piaget. His
research clearly shows what we see today.
I can see why we are certified K-12, each and every
stage of growth is noticiable in the art room,and one
of the cues we use to help a student is noticing where
he/she is developmentally. High school level. We adore
the kids that understand all the concepts from
previous teachers, but not all do. Some still don't
understand horizon line. All of us get in tune with
what ever stage we are dealing with, and can handle
each and every one. Then talk art.
Cindi