Re: ceramic tiles

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 07:25:27 PDT

I would break up some of them and mosaic something (lots of stuff actually!)
After grouting there is a sealer at stores that carry tile supplies that you
can put over them. If they don't have a protective coating to begin with
then I would paint them with a polyeurethane - if you plan to use these
outdoors or with alot of water then get the outdoor stuff.
~Michal

> Hi to all you wonderful art teachers out there! You helped me so much
> last year! Thank you! Although I am not teaching this next FAll, I do
> have a question that I thought some of you may have some info about. I
> was given a large amount of ceramic tiles (the kind you put on
> entryway,bathroom, kitchen walls and floors. They are so gorgeous.
> Forever the packrat, I could not turn them down. But what to do with them
> now? Ideas from anyone? I thought of painting onto them, but with what?
> and how to seal them? I had thought they would make neat coasters for
> drinks and trivets for table serving platters, etc. But again, what
> paints would hold up under that heat? I don't have a kiln or I would
> glaze paint them. Thanks for your input! Donna Clark, out of the tent,
> and back home, just painting.

---