RE: pre-school art lessons

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (leann_escoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 16:26:28 PDT

Okay here goes some preschool lessons I have done.

     We got colored or white lunch bags and glued assorted foam shapes,
little pieces of construction paper, tissue paper, even had them put glue
spots and put a pinch of beads on there. Had them add those googoo eyes, and
helped glue triangles, they chose strips of tissue paper to glue to the open
end of the bag and voila a fish. When I did my student teaching at the
elementary level I did this lesson and introduced my kids to Sandy Skogland
. They should glue the embellishments one day, then the next day do the fins
and tail, and then another day stuff with shredded newspaper. Tie off the
tail with a pipe cleaner and hole punch a hole in the top. Attach a string
and you can hang. They looked really cute and moms and kids loved them. (tip
give them to the kids at the end of the day, they like to swing them around
with the string).
     I had the kids do sunflowers. I gave them white circles precut and had
them color them with magic markers or colored pencils, oil pastels. Whatever
they liked. Their choice. They then were given yellow construction paper. I
precut this to about 3 x 7. They would tear this into strips. If you tear
with the weave it is really easy for them. They would then glue the back of
their white circle and add the yellow strips. I gave them 2 really long
green strips and they glued them onto their paper and added they circle with
strips. They turned out really good. Again monitor glue and remind them to
glue the back of the paper and then attach to the white one. Do not let them
glue the white paper and then add the strips.
     We've done the coffee filter butterflies. Magic markers, spray with
water. Let dry and then wrap pipe cleaner around. (I always wrapped the pipe
cleaner myself). I had them create a background for their butterflies to
live. They would do it in marker. or oil pastel etc. The kids love to see
their butterflies being sprayed. Watching the colors bleed.
     Another that they really liked. We did fishtanks. I had them
watercolor a big sheet of paper. I snagged some really good nice thick
watercolor paper and had them use it. Big sheets 18 x 24 I believe. I gave
them watercolors and demonstrated how to paint. I gave them oversized
brushes and demonstated. Dip into water. Dip into paint. Put on paper. I
encouraged them to use blue and even some green and yellow if they liked.
Oh........ We did wet on wet. I gave them water and had them paint their
paper with water. Then we added the colors. Next I gave them a handful of
kosher salt. (It works better than rock salt) and had them sprinkle it onto
their blue paper. They need to paint really dark. Lots of paint. While that
dries I give them two sheets of paper one they paint orange and one green.
Another day I give them fish templates and have them trace the fish onto
their orange paper. They then cut them out. I may have to help some with the
cutting out of the plants. We then glue the fish and plants onto the blue
paper. The kids love this project they like putting dashes of salt all over
their paper. Oh and have the kids wipe their blue salty paper over the
trashcan or you'll have little grains of salt everywhere.
     Those are the big projects that I have done that they really liked.
Hope these help and sorry about the length.
LeAnn