Re: pre-school art

---------

From: Laura Carey (carey_l_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 07:14:52 PDT

Hi!
 Years ago I taught a mixed HeadStart and MRDD group. Boy do I not miss
it! But my Kinders are not much more advanced. Beg if you have to for the
cut time. The other elementary art teacher in my district will now have
her kinders 2x a week for 35 minutes. I have my 4 classes of kinders only
once a week for 35 minutes and it is still tough.
 WHen I was teaching stricly PK, their theory was all on experience and
not finished project. I found that centers were awesome. Everything
contained in a box. My kinders love collage type things to create. (The
waste drives me crazy...but so be it.) I also have found that everything
has to be set up...Stations work best for me and I have feet paths on the
floor that help direct traffic. They hate to stay in their seats. We also
go on feild trips, to collect leaves, pick up trash etc. They also seem to
hate to color, so I break out the markers or oil crayons, something
different. I also have found a book, which of course is at school, that
has some simple projects and ideas...I cut circles out in bright
construction paper with the die cut machine and cut some in half, etc. and
we practice gluing on black paper. Looks really neat. We also sponge
paint, marble paint (in those boxes from the pop machine guy), string
paint...etc. Painting keeps their attention and we get color work done.
 Use their themes from the classroom is definately a good idea, we have
done underwater pictures, apples from torn paper, trees from torn paper,
etc.
Good luck to you...keep laughing, it is the only thing that keeps us sane!
Laura

---