Re: Field Trip

---------

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 15:22:33 PDT

Great Ideas and advice!

Ricardo

>>> Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu 07/25/02 10:17PM >>>
I teach elementary level, but during my student teaching, I got to help
plan a
field trip with junior high kids. We took 2 charter busses of 7th
graders from
Austin to Houston to to see an Impressionism exhibit and the
Smithsonian Star
Wars exhibit at MFAH. The advice I can give you from this experience
is to
collaborate with other teachers. We planned the trip with the French
teacher
and an English teacher. The French teacher's interest was in the
French
culture and history, The English teacher's angle was the myth/ hero
cycle from
Star Wars, and we art teachers focused on the art careers aspect of the
making
of Star Wars and of course, we studied Impressionism. Before the
trip,
students from the English class gave a presentation to the art class on
the
hero cycle and students in the French class participated with the art
students
in an art history lesson to get some background info about
Impressionist
movement. Two great things about involving these other teachers: 1)we
automatically had 4 adults for the trip, and 2)the students got a
richer
experience because connections were made across subject areas.
Incidentally, the busses were paid for with grant money and students
were asked
to pay the $5 museum admission. The principal provided funds the few
kids who
couldn't pay $5. Kids were to bring a sack lunch, and we brought extra
food
because we knew some would not have anything. We went in the spring,
but it
is usually easier to schedule trips in the fall because spring
calendars get so
packed.

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Hello all!
>
> This fall I will be teaching at a new middle school in Texas.
>This will be my thrid year of teaching art at a third school. I have
>yet to experience a field trip to the museum. Do you guys have any
>advice for me to plan one? When is the best time to go...the fall or
>Spring? How much should I charge the students? I would appreciate
any
>advice!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ricardo