Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Field Trip

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 15:22:33 PDT

Great Ideas and advice!

>>> 07/25/02 10:17PM >>>
I teach elementary level, but during my student teaching, I got to help
plan a
field trip with junior high kids. We took 2 charter busses of 7th
graders from
Austin to Houston to to see an Impressionism exhibit and the
Smithsonian Star
Wars exhibit at MFAH. The advice I can give you from this experience
is to
collaborate with other teachers. We planned the trip with the French
and an English teacher. The French teacher's interest was in the
culture and history, The English teacher's angle was the myth/ hero
cycle from
Star Wars, and we art teachers focused on the art careers aspect of the
of Star Wars and of course, we studied Impressionism. Before the
students from the English class gave a presentation to the art class on
hero cycle and students in the French class participated with the art
in an art history lesson to get some background info about
movement. Two great things about involving these other teachers: 1)we
automatically had 4 adults for the trip, and 2)the students got a
experience because connections were made across subject areas.
Incidentally, the busses were paid for with grant money and students
were asked
to pay the $5 museum admission. The principal provided funds the few
kids who
couldn't pay $5. Kids were to bring a sack lunch, and we brought extra
because we knew some would not have anything. We went in the spring,
but it
is usually easier to schedule trips in the fall because spring
calendars get so