Need an example of an "Anticipatory set"

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 15:00:13 PDT

The anticipatory set includes the motivation and introduction of your
lesson; it is the attention getter for the lesson. The anticipatory set
refers to an activity to focus the students' attention, provide and/or
develop a readiness for the instruction that will follow. It should relate
to some previous learning. if successful, the anticipatory set should help
the student get mentally or physically prepared for the lesson.

I t could be a question posed, a sketchbook prompt, a review of criteria for
an ongoing lesson or it can be a production.

I personally find the Hunter model sometimes more of a detriment than help
in the art room. Kids come into the room; they want to get right to work on
their projects and they look at me and say "You gonna talk?" I understand
the anticipatory set when introducing something new, and I know when I need
to take the time to review or reinforce an objective, but when an a project
is on going and kids are meeting the criteria, I see no need to take time
for this. Yet many administrators require this on a daily basis at least
mine does.

---