Re: Complementary colors HELP!!!!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:08:21 PDT

From Woody in KC:

By any simple color I believe they mean any primary or secondary
color as in R,Y,B,O, G or V. Colors like blue-green might be complex
colors ?

If you choose Orange then the complement would be Blue.
It would of course contain no traces of the color opposite it.
But perhaps they are thinking you might be working with more
complex commercial pigments like rose madder genuine, or
antwerp blue, etc. Who knows what's in those pigments ?
I paint with them but use a simpler color theory more like
I teach in Middle School.

brendanian@comcast.net wrote:
> I just can't get through this sentence!!!
> Here is what it says:
> "...In the following exercise, you should begin by placing any simple
> color next to its opposite (by that it means any pigment, any primary...?)
> The opposite color must contain no traces of the primary color found in
> the first of the complementaries which you have laid on....

> white should be added to the darker hue of the combination in order that
> both hues can be recognized simultaneously....

I'm not so sure here unless they mean to add enough white to the
darker pigment till the values of the two are close to the eye.

If you want to explore color in it's true complexity I suggest you
go to handprint.com and check out an artist who knows color like
Steve Quiller: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/book3.html#quiller2

                                                        Woody in KC

--
This one soars: