Re: Which Museum - Houston

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 01:05:27 PDT

Kimberly-

Do you know about the open house-evening for educators
in the museum district? You can go to almost all of
the museums and get the "game plan" of events for the
year. There's a bus that takes you from museum to
museum and there are usually some free goodies like a
calendar from the museum of natural science, etc.
(MFAH also has a booklet of educational resources that
can be borrowed- ie. videos, educational packets)

It's usually the last Thursday in August. Tomorrow I
can check to find out if Bayou Bend is on the list of
organizations that will be participating.

I haven't taken students there, but my first public
school field trip was to the MFAH. The school
arrangments were terrible, but once we got there, we
were definitely in good hands. I also thought it was
great for the students to get interact with someone
else (besides me) when discussing art.

I took third grade inner city students, didn't know
about the field trip until they asked me to take the
students that day, and only 5 out of about 50 were
from my class- so I didn't even know most of their
names, and there were only 2 chaperones. I found out
when I got back that one of them was a narcoleptic - I
can not begin to imagine what I would have done if he
dozed off on the bus...

I hope my principal will be one who is supportive of
such outings.

Good luck - Dawn