Re: kinders falling off chairs

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 16:21:52 PDT

In a message dated 08/08/2002 6:21:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Nnaell@aol.com writes:

> In my classroom I have full size tables with full size stools. It just
> seems
> to work. But my first year I was in a classroom with a carpeted floor
> (long
> story). Anyway, those little kinders are wigglers...and every so
> often...they would wiggle their stool so it was partially under the table,
> while they were sitting on it! Then PLOP...off would go a
> kindergartener!!!
> As they landed on the carpet, they never got hurt...but oh my the looks on
> their surprised little faces. Now that I am in a regular art room it does
> not happen as often. But they do like to use those stools as jungle
> gyms!!!

Oh, those horrible gray metal stools with the masonite seats are a safety
issue! I have big long tables in my art room and had stools like these from
the previous art teacher. Well, the library requested new chairs this year
for the look of them, as the library chairs are from the year one, ugly, but
functional. I requested new chairs as a safety issue. I claimed, and
rightfully so, that the children- of ALL ages, K-5 fall off those things
constantly. They seem to like to wrap their feet into the bars which causes
the stools to tip over, as these stools are really rather light. I feel they
should be discontinued or ban from elementary school use. Anyway, the
library did not get the new chairs, but I did! I ordered the rather heavy
natural oak ones. What I said was that those stools were a lawsuit waiting
to happen- and we all know how administrators like to avoid lawsuits like the
plague! Sometimes it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it! LOL....
Susan on Long Island

---