Ceramic Lab Fee Question

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 12:32:00 PDT

Hey Everyone,
I have another question. I have two Ceramic I class and one Ceramic II class and in the past I charge a lab fee of $35 to the students. With the $35 the students got clay that is commercially pugged and a set of tools and this got us through the year. This is a system that I inherited and I have always gone with it. It has worked fine so far but their are some short coming. One, the students who don't pay their lab fee have to use reclaim clay which is fine but it require more work on the student, and I always have about a third of the students who don't pay. At the beginning of the project I always dole out the clay to the students and have to monitor who gets what. By doing this I get students who think that whenever they let the clay dry out or mess up on a project that all they have to do is go get more clay and just throw the old in the reclaim bucket. This year I want to put more responsibility on the student by giving them each a 25 lbs. bag of clay each quarter, when they pay their lab fee, and having them take responsibility for their own clay. I am also thinking of letting them just buy a bag of clay for $10 a bag if the $35 lab fee is to hard to manage. I feel that this is a lot more true to life and will teach them how to care for and be responsible for their own material.

What do you think? Is this a system that is chalk full of potential problems? What is your opinion? How do other people do their lab fees and in ceramic and other lab classes?

Sorry for the length of this email. I hope I explained myself clear enough. If not I will try better. Just let me know.

Blessings,
Joe.Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

---