Re: Mac Question

---------

From: Donna Pauler (dpauler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 11:13:04 PDT

Have worked on Macs since start. Teach graphic arts now on Mac with
predominately PC/Windows users. Floppies, Zips can be formatted for
PC/Mac on the Mac or on the PC. They work best pre-formatted PC.
People on Windows can mount them ok as well as Mac people. Windows
users can use Mac formatted disks if they get another program "Can
Opener" which can see Mac formatted disks. Once you have the disk to
put info on it you need to save to the disk files with the necessary
extension. I have not heard any PC/Windows computer that can see a
file without the extension. If the extension doesn't match the actual
file format it may be seen on the PC as corrupted or not be able to
open it at all. So be sure to save the file in the appropriate format
(whatever that is) with the right extension.
Generic file formats are basically "cross over" ie. jpg, gif,
(internet graphics.) tiff (scanner graphics but some tiffs need to be
saved in PC format in Photoshop of something equiv. because the bite
order is different--not all will necessarily work.) Other program
specific files have no trouble crossing over either esp if you have
the software on both platforms: pdf (Acrobat Reader files) PSD
(Photoshop, ImagReady) doc (Word), etc. There are lists of extensions
for those that want it. The extension won't show up on the file name
on Windows computers unless enabled. Mac people will see the file
extension as part of the file name. Photoshop, Office, and more and
more current programs can be set as default to save the file with the
appropriate extension. I would highly recommend that. I have had
students who added the wrong extension to the file for the way they
were saving it. That creates a real mess.
I get files "all the time" from PC people and haven't had trouble
opening then anymore. And I don't think they know I am sending them
files from a Mac. No one's complained anyway. I collect work online
from students all the time as I also teach a Photoshop online class.
(If you want to know about the class see www2.austincc.edu/pauler.)
That class involves not only sending me graphic files in all the
formats mentioned, but even putting images in layout programs such as
Quark X Prss, PageMaker, etc. I have had Windows users send me these
files as well "OK". The students need to compress these files if they
get large. Most Windows people use Zip but I open then using Stuff
It utility. And download all the files. So far so good.
Those that are interested might also look at Apple's web site about
the "switch". It really explains what would be involved if you made
the switch from PC. But it also shows you the compatibility between
platforms at the site.
http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/
Good luck to all of you working cross platform!
Donna Pauler

--
---