Re: Batik--how to???

---------

From: wjb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 19:59:04 PDT

> Turned out really neat. Think I am going to do it this year with my
> fourth grade, on a much smaller scale. My daughter's project was 15x25 or
> so.

I did this with a group of HSers in textiles class last spring. The pieces
were awesome and far less difficult than the mess associated with traditional
Batik. this group had the attention span of a gnat so the lesson was perfect
for them. You could have kids do trapunto or beading or fringing and tieing.
Endless possibilities.

Also did traditional Batik on rice paper with a drawing andf painting group.
Several of my more motivated mastered tjanting needle drawing.
They were all successful. Big and colorful. I've repeated this every year.
Kids love it.

Gelato

---