Re: Folding and Unfolding Cubes/ 3-D shapes projects

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 13:21:12 PDT

FRANCIS REDFERN wrote:

> Has anyone else tried this amusing activity?- foldin and unfolding
> cubes. Here is the website with the directions. Mine didn't quite fold
> the way it was supposed to. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> http://ccins.camosun.bc.ca/~jbritton/jbfoldcube.htm

Nora,

Someone posted this site last spring. I printed out the directions and
drew the pattern to scale on 12 x 18 manila paper. They worked out
pretty well. I don't remember any particular problems with it; just had
to be careful as you were folding the cubes together. I don't know that
I would assign the making of these things in class, as good rulers and
T-squares would be necessary (and which I don't have enough of for each
student); I suppose one could photocopy the pattern on large sheets of
card stock, assuming you had access to a copy machine that could do
this. I'm planning to take this idea or a similar one and have the
students copy their self-portraits on the pattern before cutting it out
and assembling it.

What sorts of problems were you having?

Maggie

---