Re: Batik--how to???

---------

From: Laura Carey (carey_l_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 10:55:16 PDT

Alum Batik method:
 1/2 cup white flour
 1/2 cup water
 2 teaspoons Alum
Start with water and gradually mix in flour and alum. You can do this in
blender, but I simply mixed it by hand. Should resemble Elmer's glue when
smooth. Ready to use.
You can put it in squirt bottle or paint it on. We painted it on as it was
a big design we were working on.
We had painted a rainbow circle on first(With watered down acrylic) and
then, when dry painted on degsign. Let it dry for 24 hours. Scrunched it
up a bit to make the cracks. And then used acrylic again in darker shade
and painted over everything. When it was dry the alum mixture crumbles
off, but then I rinsed it in cold water to get it all out. Hung it to dry
and then ironed it.
 Turned out really neat. Think I am going to do it this year with my
fourth grade, on a much smaller scale. My daughter's project was 15x25 or
so.
 I'll try to attach a picture to anyone who wants one, just email me!
Laura

---