Re: Horses in Art- Mistake

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 05:11:08 PDT

Hi all...
   For some reason, I could not get into arts ed net all day yesterday.
THis morning I had some trouble too, and had to come in through the search
for artsednet that had curriculum sources, and then find my way to talk.
ANyone else having trouble? The other avenues just wouldn't open for me
after search on either my web tv or my computer.

ANYWAY....THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GREAT RESPONSES FOR HORSES IN ART! You
are all so great. I ran across an incredible photographer who takes
pictures of horses that are in mist, have unusual closeups that show the
curves of their bodies in such a way that they almost look like
landscapes. I'm looking for the website and will post later today when I
find it. I think the photographer's name was Vavra. I'll get back to
you. I was thinking how nice it would be to intersperse his photos of
real horses with painted ones in a power point. I'm planning a unit for
my 5th graders in pastels. You have helped me IMMENSELY. I had thought
of Degas and Leonardo and Gericault and Franz Marc. The extra help is
much appreciated!

Oh...by the way, I was looking yesterday at a website for greek vases that
had an image of a woman with a sword being put through her neck. It looks
just like the face in Picasso's Guernica and even makes the comparison.
It blew me away. Here's the website:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/vasepainting.htm

I am definitely going to NAEA this year, as I can't wait to meet so many
of you. You have changed my once solitary art teacher's existence into a
rich and beautiful tapestry of friends and ideas! Thanks so much.
Linda in Houston

---