RE: The be all end all of ELEMENTS & PRINCIPLES

---------

From: Jane Manner (jmanner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 12:51:04 PDT

Nearly 30 years ago the text I used with beginning high school students had
Elements-line, shape, form, value, texture, space and color (7) and
Principles-contrast, pattern(repetition), balance, rhythm, emphasis, unity
and movement (also 7). Several times during that span of time I have found
posters of the same 14, so those are the ones I use. If the text I happen
to be using has different ones, I just explain how those fit in with the
ones I use... Sort of a "6 of 1/2 dozen" thing. The 7 each thing seems to
be helpful when the kids are learning the material.