Re. very nervous!

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 11:13:18 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "brenda robson" <bruthrobson@aol.com>
> I am a very shy person and am dreading this. Anyone ever had to do
> anything like this?! have any advise? Does my proposal sound fair?
> I hate coming off like a prima-donna or demanding my schedule at the 11th
> hour but they couldn't define it until 2 weeks ago or meet till this week.
> Thanks for any advise. . .I NEED IT!!!!!!!!
> Brenda
****************

I think what you're asking is reasonable. I would expect that your classes
would however be smaller if you are in private school so that's a plus. It's
a real shame they have decided to place four people to one with different
views. I tend to be a non-confrontational person too so I share your
feelings. I would feel intimidated by the number of administrators too.

I would go into your meeting with a friendly smile and the idea that you all
are meeting with one thing in common...to do together what works best for
the children. I would keep that "speech" in everything you say. Shore up
your statement with ideas that re-enforce that like...I can't give the
children the time (materials, resources, etc) to meet my expectations of
what I want to accomplish. Approach them with the idea of fairness...can
they really expect you to teach so many children in so little time frame
successfully? Put the questions back into their laps. You also signed the
contract with the expectation that they would be fair minded to your
schedule even though they could not give you a definitive schedule at that
time.

Remember....you are doing yourself a favor by speaking up....plus...the
squeaky wheel DOES get the oil. If the job pans out than you have set your
reputation as one who cares about the kids and one who respects your own
self in the bargain. Who can argue with that?! Toodles...Bunki

---