very nervous! need advise for meeting w/ 4 principals tomorrow!

---------

From: brenda robson (bruthrobson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 07:21:07 PDT

I am starting a part-time art program for middle and lower private school
students in a large urban city with 2 campuses.
The initial agreement was for middle school but scheduling only allows for
3 hours a week for 7th & 8th so 5th and 6th make up 8 more hours.
My contract stated lower elementary too but it was very undefined, even
though I pressed for details, so I signed it because I had already signed
my 2 children's tuition agreement. (which we can't afford w/out my working
there-and our public schools are a nightmare!)
Now the year is starting (Thursday night we meet parents at one campus)
and I am balking!
They want 320 children meeting 13 times, 4 days a week, at two campuses,
grades 3-8!
Now for my paltry part time pay (which in reality will cover my kids
tuition) I think this is excessive.
I drew a line in the sand and demanded losing 3rd grade (75 kids)
and fitting the rest into 3 days a week.
Now the headmaster and 3 principals are meeting with me tomorrow morning
to talk about all this.
I am a very shy person and am dreading this. Anyone ever had to do
anything like this?! have any advise? Does my proposal sound fair?
I hate coming off like a prima-donna or demanding my schedule at the 11th
hour but they couldn't define it until 2 weeks ago or meet till this week.
Thanks for any advise. . .I NEED IT!!!!!!!!
Brenda

---