Re: screamer building question

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 19:01:36 PDT

In a message dated 8/6/2002 12:17:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mckmac@netins.net writes:

> Hi, I am just making an example for my 6th graders. We are making the
> screamers that has been a popular book/project on this list. I was
> wondering if I could substitute art paste for the Elmer's glue when we
> start
> with the fabric? I am not sure if the art paste will be as strong and
> flexible. I am also wondering if I can use different types of fabric or if
> it really needs to be an old sheet? Any help will be appreciated...
> Thanks
> in advance!
> Susan

Hi Susan,
First off, i wouldn't use the art paste in lieu of elmers. There is no
strength added with the fabric. I used elmers diluted 50/50. when the
fabric is squeezed out it uses very little and it dries rock hard. Secondly,
I used so many different fabrics that befoire we primed them they looked like
old patchwork quilts! If you get donations or use old clothes ( I used a lot
of that) cut strips on the bias (the diagonal) The faabric lays better and
will stretch to conform to a shape.
If you'd like to see our monsters just click on the link below
 <A HREF="http://www.caravel.org/activ/artclub/artclub.htm">Caravel Art Club</A>
Best of luck
Peace
gabrielle