Re: California question!

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 15:57:39 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "menichino" <menichino@infoblvd.net>
> Hi Bunki --
> My family and I recently visited California -- flew into S.F. and drove to
> Yosemite through towns like Byron and Tracy.

If you flew to SF and drove in that direction, then you probably drove by
about 5 minutes from my home! Kathy Tickner lives and teaches in Byron and
she's on our listserv! You were probably about 3/4 hour's drive from Ken
Schwab's home in San Jose (Bicyclken) who's on our listserv too.

>We noticed something that was
> very different than the east coast (besides the amber ground, the amazing
> landforms, the dry air, the cacti, etc. etc!)

The "amber ground" is the "golden hills of California". Remember we don't
get rain for months on end in the summertime so the hillside grasses turn
golden. We still get colors in the fall...turning leaves...which the
southern part of CA doesn't. LA is covered in palm trees...we get a few
stuck in between the other foliage.

>What we noticed was that
> many of the homes had fences around their yards. Not just decorative fences
> but Serious Fences. Yeah we have fences in NY but they're either to keep in
> livestock in the country, or to divide properties in the suburbs. Many
> places don't have fences at all. Nothing like CA -- we'd be driving along
> and there'd be a house along the road, substantially fenced. No animals or
> neighbors to be seen! Is it to keep something out? Keep something in?
> Maybe you don't know but I thought I'd ask!

Your observation was the first impression I got also when we moved to LA
from the east coast. Less land per house than what I was used to. I figured
out that people seem to feel that because there is less land per person in
the towns along the way so they usually put up fences for privacy purposes.
Although people are friendly here, it's not like the east coast where you
know your neighbors really well.

Another interesting aside in CA living is there are generally no basements
in the homes.

>By the way, California is> amazing. Yosemite -- well I have no words. I was
> just stunned. So cool.
> Liz in rural NY

Yep...CA makes you feel that way. We get teased a lot too...hee-hee...but we
can take it! Toodles...Bunki

---