California question!

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 14:39:33 PDT

Hi Bunki --
My family and I recently visited California -- flew into S.F. and drove to
Yosemite through towns like Byron and Tracy. We noticed something that was
very different than the east coast (besides the amber ground, the amazing
landforms, the dry air, the cacti, etc. etc!) -- and I realized -- hey
Bunki's from California -- maybe she can tell me! What we noticed was that
many of the homes had fences around their yards. Not just decorative fences
but Serious Fences. Yeah we have fences in NY but they're either to keep in
livestock in the country, or to divide properties in the suburbs. Many
places don't have fences at all. Nothing like CA -- we'd be driving along
and there'd be a house along the road, substantially fenced. No animals or
neighbors to be seen! Is it to keep something out? Keep something in?
Maybe you don't know but I thought I'd ask! By the way, California is
amazing. I've never travelled before (well, other than visiting family and
taking kids to visit colleges. Yosemite -- well I have no words. I was
just stunned. So cool.
Thanks for trying to satisfy my curiosity!
Liz in rural NY
menichino@infoblvd.net

---