Re: screamer building question

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 14:07:17 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Susan and Ben <mckmac@netins.net>
> ....I was
> wondering if I could substitute art paste for the Elmer's glue when we start
> with the fabric? I am not sure if the art paste will be as strong and
> flexible. I am also wondering if I can use different types of fabric or if
> it really needs to be an old sheet? Any help will be appreciated... Thanks
> in advance!
> Susan
***********

Gosh...we've done them so many ways. The first way was by-the-book
(SCREAMER). After the first year I had HAD it with sheet strings down the
drain cloggin' up the works. Got a few GLARES from the custodian as he was
mumbling about the stuffed-up sink drains. Not a relationship builder.

The second year we did the basic forms with flour and water mixture (like
the book) which is rock hard...as Kathy said. We did the final coat with
plaster gauze. This kept everything intact and provided a good base for
painting. More expensive but you could ask the kids for a fee as I did. My
fee also covered the spray paint for the base color (used tempera for the
details). I got a deal with the local hardware store for the kids to buy
their own spray paint...water based. I ordered the plaster gauze from
Douglas & Sturgess in San Fransicso...Sturgess@ix.netcom.com. So far I think
the plaster gauze makes wrinkles and folds you want around the mouth and
eyes for personality, the best material to use.

No...I don't think Ross paste would hold well. My experience with Ross paste
has been less than exciting and definitely lacking. Others swear by it but I
don't think it's near strong enough for something this size and weight.
These suckers will be heavy.

Some people have used brown paper toweling for the finally cover (with
flour/water) and like that texture as well. Personally? I'd advise you to
stay away from the material/sheets because of the string fiasco.

If, after this advice, you still want to use sheets, use Elmer's...NOT Ross
Paste. Elmer's is waaaaaaaay stronger.

You can check our website for pictures of our screamers at.....

Toodles.....Bunki

---