Re: new theme

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 13:12:38 PDT

I have done a "place based" theme for the past two years that has been alot
of fun. We have studied Kansas artists, created our state symbols a mulitude
of ways (flower, bird, animal, etc), weather (tornados, bright sun, wind,
etc), plants (wildflowers), cowboys, Indians (Wichita, Sioux, etc), animals
(buffalo, coyote, prairie chicken), or tied in with famous Kansans - ex.
when we did clowns I talked about Emmett Kelly. None of my students knew
that the creator of Beetle Bailey (Mort Walker) was born and raised 10 miles
from our school. It is so easy to tie everything together and the students
love learning about where they're from. It always amazes me that my students
know more about the rain forest than they do the tallgrass prairie.

Other themes I have done - multicultural/each grade level does an artwork
from a particular country * water themes/beach, sand, fish, suns * Modern
Art/created artwork in the style of modern artists. Alot of these projects
are listed on my webpage.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>Anyone have a great idea for a unifying theme for this year. I have done
many themes: olympics, artists, careers, everyone >is different and I am
looking for something that everyone K-5 can add to on a bulletin board.

---