Re: Elements and Principles

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 05:59:44 PDT

"Hey everyone.
I am trying to develop a lesson plan that is a basic overview of the Elements of Design. This will introduce the elements without going into too much detail, and than we will go into each element more thoroughly throughout the year. It is for my Art I, high school students. Right now I am working on an idea of having the students make a poster that explains and illustrates each of the elements. What other ideas are out there and or what have others tried? Plus if you have any good websites that discusses Poster Design please send them along.

Thanks for all the help.
Blessings
Joe"

Hi joe,

I use Artline:

http://www.cyberschool.k12.or.us/~wallace/artline/art_elements_are_the_building_bl.htm

Sanford has a great site as well that I use:

http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/study/study.html

I go over the elements and principles using these sites and for this year I have ordered Davis' Exploring Visual Design for levels 7-12. I believe you can request a copy for review. I saw a copy at the NAEA and really liked the format.

http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/index.html

The other thing I do is have the students create a Power Point which has the definitions for the elements and principles (as they have definitions from Artline and Sanford + many other sites out there) and has an example of a work of art that emphasizes that particular principle or element. If the kids don't have access to Power Point, you could possibly have them create a poster or a book that does the above.

You can use the Power Points in class or hang the posters that the kids have researched and created.

~^~

Vivian

Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.cox.net/artzheart