Re: New Teacher

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 06:55:12 PDT

> From: "Steven" <salmon4me@yahoo.com>
>

>> ...I'm a first year teacher and I need a few ideas for some
>> good elementary art lessons. Also, any ideas on organization would be
>> GREAT.

welcome to art ed, steven. you'll find what you're looking for on this
list...no matter what it is! i have to second ann's advice about having the
kids make "name tents" on the first day if you are new to a building - i use
9x12 white construction paper folded lengthwise. you can do this for grades
2-6 with no problem. i have them sit anywhere they want the first day and
make their tents. then the next few times i try different seating
arrangements until i have compatible kids at each table. i note which kids
need special seating (kids w/ behavior issues or hearing impaired, etc.) put
them at certain seats and then fill in the rest of the kids until all the
tables are working together. i make a folded poster board for each class
(color coded by grade). in each folder i place 6 construction paper folders
-1 for each table, color coordinated to the sign hanging above each table
(ie; the blue table has a blue folder.) the kids store their name tents in
their table folder at the end of class and these all go into the class
folder until next week. they use them until i know them all, which takes a
while when you have 700 or so. but even after that if you have a sub.
for K-1 i print their names because so many of them don't write legibly yet.
they can decorate them tough.

ann is very clever about her name game too, but in my case the kids
generally know each other...it's just that i don't know them. i have them
write their names in fat letters then fill the space leftover with drawings
of their favorite things. in this way i get to learn about them through
their favorites.
sorry i babbled on so long here...hope this helps you. i know it's
overwhelming when you're just starting out.

linda in michigan

---