Eric Carle lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:05:49 PDT

I did a successful Eric Carl lesson with second graders using colored tissue
paper. The motivation was "Dragons and other animals that never were".
Students monoprinted (with finger paints)- stamp printed (with assorted
gadgets, wood blocks, sponges and found objects)- splatter painted (using
tooth brushes)- and/or painted with watercolors several pieces of tissue
paper to use (cut to 9 x 12). Stations were set up throughout the room for
the different activities. Each student could make one paper at each
station - then if time permitted - revisit. Texture panels and crayons were
also available (to use on dry paper). One activity was set up at each of six
tables. Students started at their home base table then rotated around the
room.

The first class period was spent reading selections from the book and
designing their own imaginary animals (drawings on 12 x 18 paper). Students
spent one class creating the colored papers then two classes creating their
imaginary animal. Students were given back their own tissue paper and were
permitted to use leftovers from other members at their table. The tissue
paper was glued using glue sticks. Once the animals were done, they
watercolored and used crayons for the background. Left over tissue paper
could also be used in the background. The end results were very similar to
Eric Carl's work. I did laminate several for our show since the glue sticks
are not very permanent. Sorry - no digital images (pre-camera days for me --
several years ago).

Judy Decker

---