Re: first days of school activities

---------

From: mike delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 08:43:11 PDT

  One thing I have done with beginning art students that review the rules of the class is for them to make a drawing.
  I have 6 classroom precedures: example- work on art in art, put suppies where they belong/ clean up own area, be in seat when bell rings, quiet talking during lab time; you get the idea.

  Fold the paper so there are 6 divisions. In each should be an illustration of the rule, no or little words. They then use colored pencil to illustrate. It is their first art assignment.

  Another thing I do with beginning classes is to learn the names-The students design thier name on a nametag (whitedrawing paper folded in half) They need to have an adjective that begins with the same first letter of their name; jumping jamie, awesome ann, cooking corey The design must have color.
  The second day they arrive in class I place the name cards in different places. They then work in that seat for the day. At the end of class or begiinging we take turne going around the room remembering the names. The first player sayd thaire name, magnificnetmilly and then the 2nd player says the first ones name and theirs.
  The next day and for the next week whenever they enter the room they are sitting by someone new. You keep moving the nametags. This way everyone learns names. You find out who does not work well together. I did not do this for my advanced classes and last year I did not do this in the begiining classes. I am go9ing to do this name game again as I can still remember the kids names a coupole of years later, oh that's cookin charlie or whatever and I forget others names so easily.
  It was written somewhere that kids would be successfull in a class if they felt a part . This is one sure way that has worked for me

  Ann

---